Submit Manuscript  

Article Details


Impact of Interleukin 28B and ICAM-1 Genetic Polymorphisms on Response to Direct Antiviral Treatment Among HCV Infected Patients

[ Vol. 20 , Issue. 8 ]

Author(s):

Amel G. Elsheredy, Abdulrahman H. Almaeen, Amany A. Ghazy*, Ghada F. Helaly, Ibrahim Amer, Haneen A. Ghazy and Tamer Haydara   Pages 1328 - 1335 ( 8 )

Abstract:


Background: Single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) of IL-28B and/or ICAM-1 could have a role in expecting a response from HCV infected patients to direct antiviral agents (DAAs).

Objective: The aim of the current study was to investigate the impact of IL-28B rs12979860 and rs8099917, and, ICAM-1 rs281437 SNPs on response to treatment with sofosbuvir + Daclatsvir ± Ribavirin, among HCV-infected Egyptian patients.

Methods: Whole blood genomic DNA was extracted from 120 participants (80 HCV-infected patients and 40 healthy volunteers). HCV-infected patients were subdivided into responders and nonresponders to DAAs. Liver function testing, anti-HCV antibodies, HCV-RNA viral load and HCV genotyping were performed. IL-28B and ICAM-1 SNPs were evaluated by real-time PCR.

Results: ALT and AST levels were significantly higher among non-responder HCV infected patients (P = 0.001*). 90% of the patients had HCV genotype 4a and the remaining 10% had 4l genotype. Allelic discrimination revealed that IL-28B rs12979860 T, IL-28B rs809917 T and ICAM-1 rs281437 C alleles were more frequent among HCV-infected patients (responders or non-responders) than controls. However, IL-28B rs8099917 G allele was more frequent among healthy controls. Regarding the response to DAAs treatment, HCV-infected patients with IL-28B rs8099917 GG genotype showed a significantly earlier viral response compared to those carrying TT alleles. ICAM-1 rs281437 CT alleles were non significantly more frequent among responders. However, IL-28B rs12979860 alleles did not show any difference.

Conclusion: Genotyping of IL-28B rs8099917 is a useful independent tool for expecting a response of Egyptian HCV-infected patients to DAAs.

Keywords:

Hepatitis C virus, direct antiviral agents, IL-28B, ICAM-1 single nucleotide polymorphism, viral response.

Affiliation:

Department of Microbiology, Medical Research Institute, Alexandria University, Alexandria, Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, Jouf University, Sakaka, Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, Jouf University, Sakaka, Department of Microbiology, Medical Research Institute, Alexandria University, Alexandria, Department of Hepatology, Gastroenterology and Infectious Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, Kafrelsheikh University, Kafrelsheikh, Department of Biotechnology, Animal Health Research Institute, Kafrelsheikh, Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Kafrelsheikh University, Kafrelsheikh



Read Full-Text article